Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Professors are People Too

I already worry that I may say this too often, but it crosses my mind at least once a semester that some of my students choose to dehumanize professors because doing so eases their consciences about feeling resentful about completing homework, taking examinations, or otherwise exerting effort to do coursework. At this point in my life, I can only remember what it was like to be eighteen years old vaguely, but I imagine that if I wasn't so terrified about being at the institution that I was, I would have expressed my fair share of discontent.

It's probably not easy to accept that professors have their students' best academic interests in mind, actually care about their well-being, and usually get jaded about any one student's ability to succeed after multiple manifestations of apathy or inability emanate from that person. Otherwise, each semester starts out as a new opportunity to foster as much intellectual development as possible in eleven to fourteen weeks.

So allow me to be trite, and remind readers who are students:
"Appearances may be deceiving (as well as your perceptions) -- your professors do care about you, and they are very human (prone to misjudgment and bias, but generally not in a malicious way"

And a forwarded citation from my sister, an archivist (by profession) who plays many other roles avocationally...

http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=1585



No comments:

Post a Comment